Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Japan - Hikone Castle & Shabu-Shabu

On Wednesday of my trip to Japan, one of Jill's friends, Sachiko, volunteered to show me around her town of Hikone.So I took the 45-minute train ride to Hikone from Otsu to meet up with Sachiko. Hikone is most famous for Hikone Castle, which was our focus for the day. It is one of only 4 remaining original castles in Japan and it was a really beautiful site. Here are a few pictures from our day at Hikone Castle:

One of the moats around the castle

The long, uneven steps up to the main part of the castle

The castle's bell...it is rung everyday at 6am, noon, and 6pm for the city of Hikone

Me with the castle

There was some leftover snow on the castle, which was really beautiful!

Inside the castle building were some old logs taken from other castles to building Hikone castle

The steps going up to the top were super steep!

A view of Shiga Prefecture's highest peak

A garden next to the castle...in the spring, it's full of cherry blossom trees...I imagine it's amazing!

After lots of walking around, Sachiko and I had worked up an appetite! Sachiko suggested Shabu-shabu, which I thought was a fabulous option!! This was actually one of the few meals I ate out while I was in Japan since Jill was so kind to cook every night while I was there. I loved getting some Western-style meals, and let me tell you, she is a wonderful cook!!

Our Shabu-shabu spread! Yum!

Sachiko with her meat...ready to boil!

Put the raw meat in the boiling water...swish it back and forth...

Take out the cooked meat...dip it in your sauce...and enjoy!! So delish!

As Sachiko and I were walking around, she kept telling me out beautiful Hikone is in the spring with the cherry blossom trees and in the fall with the changing leaves. I still thought it was quite beautiful with the settled snow, but I might just have to return oneday to see the other season!

More pictures to come!!

2 comments:

Always Angie said...

The Hikone Castle is my very favorite castle in all of Japan. I love it. And Sachiko is one of my very favorite friends in Japan. I love her. I am so glad you were able to enjoy a day at Hikone Castle with Sachiko! Your pictures are great! What about those stairs, huh? STEEEEEEP!

Jill Marshall said...

Looks like I missed out!.. Maybe I'll go check it out for you in cherry blossom time!... And thanks for the good cook part!.. I try... But it's always with love!! ;)