Saturday, February 26, 2011

How to Calculate Your Age in Korea

Editor's Edit: 
Simple formula: Korean age = (Current year - birth year) + 1 year for gestation
[Your Korean age changes with the new year!]


Original post:

Me: Hello!
Them: Hi! What's your name?
Me: Sara
Them: Nice to meet you. Where are you from?
Me: USA...Texas, do you know?
Them: Ahh, Texas. Bang, bang! How old are you?
Me: In Korea, I'm 29, but at home, I'm 27.

Almost inevitably, within the first three questions of meeting a Korean, I am asked my age. Yes, it's very common here...and no, it's not offensive. For Westerns like myself living in Korea, we get used to it and it just becomes apart of the introduction process.

The tricky part about it all is figuring out your 'Korean age'. 'Korean age'...you might ask! Yes, 'Korean age', I say. Koreans don't count age the way that we do in the States, or in most other places in the world for that matter. 

When I first arrived in Korea, I could not figure out how it all worked...but after a while of being here, I think I finally have it down. So this blog is to inform you of how to figure out your age if you're in Korea. Most younger Koreans that I meet will specify 'Korean age' and 'international age'...so I'll do the same for this demonstration.

How to Figure Out Your Korean Age:
Step 1: When you're born, you are already one year old.
Step 2: When the new year comes (some Koreans use solar, other lunar), add 1 year. You stay this age for the entire year. So when your real birthday comes, you can celebrate, but you don't actually turn a year older. Also, because of this, your 'Korean age' will either be 1 or 2 years more than your 'international age'.
Step 3: Repeat step two every year.

Here's an example...I'll use my birthday and age for this demonstration:
International age: 27
I was born on September 2, 1983, which means I have been on this earth for 27 years, and I will turn 28 on September 2 of this year. (I'm pretty sure we all understand this way.)

Korean age: 29
When I was born on September 2, 1983, I was 1 year old. On January 1, 1984, I turned 2. Fast forward a few years, and on January 1, 2011, I turned 29. I will spend all of 2011 being 29.

Most people think, 'Oh, just add a year'...but that doesn't work, unless your actual birthday is on January 1. Since my birthday is in the later part of the year, I spend the greater part of the year with my 'Korean age' 2 years greater than my 'international age'.

So these days when I meet someone, I usually assume the age that they tell me is 2 years older than their 'international age' since we're still in the earlier part of the year.

Another interesting thing about age in Korea is that all of your classmates are your same age ('Korean age' of course)....which means that they were all born in the same year. So in my example, everyone that I graduated with from high school would have been born in 1983. Obviously, this is not true since this isn't the way we do it in the States, but in Korea, it is the way it's done.

In short, if you were born in 1983, your Korean age is 29. If not, maybe this blog has helped you figure out how to calculate your Korean age!

And since I don't have a picture for Korean age, I'll leave you with a picture of Angela...the sweetest and cutest girl on the Korean peninsula!!

22 comments:

Danielle said...

It is:
Current year - birth year + 1 for the gestation period = Korean age.

2011-1983 = 28 + 1 for gestation = 29.

But, you forgot to add in the bit about lunar birthdays.

Our birthdays are the dates on the Solar calendar. The Korean age is based on your lunar birthday which can change year to year (by a few days).

So, someone who is born in January can have a Korean age 3 years higher than their International Age.

For example, if you are born on January 31, 1983, your lunar birthday is December 18, 1982. So, your Korean age would be 30, even though you were only born 27 years ago.

2011-1982=29 +1 for gestation = 30 years old.

Anonymous said...

I'm 18 in the US. Am I 19 or 20 in Korea? Sorry, it was very confusing.

saraallbritton said...

It depends on your birthday. If your birthday for 2011 has already passed, your Korean Age is 19. If you will still have your birthday from now until the end of 2011, your Korean age is 20! Hope that helps!!

ManaSpellCaster said...

I'm very confused ;? I've read this like 7 times but I still don't quiet understand????? I was born in July 27, 1995...in the U.S I am 16yrs old but what is my age in Korea? and when exacly is my birthday in korea

P.S: Reason I ask is I will be moving there very soon and I don't really know how I will be able to answer them when they ask for my age...(0~0)

saraallbritton said...

Your Korean age for 2012 is 18. On January 1 of 2013, you'll turn 19 in Korean age.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... a bit confused.
I was born January 30, 1993, does this make me 20 or 21 in korean age?

saraallbritton said...

Your Korean age for 2012 is 20 if you were born in 1993.

Anonymous said...

I'm also confused. I was born in September 8, 1998. So would I be 15 or 16 in Korea?

saraallbritton said...

If you were born in 1998, you are currently 15 in Korean age. Once the new years comes in a few days, you'll be 16!

Unknown said...

my birhtday is on May 28, 1992.. currenlty im 20 and turning 21 .. what woul dbe my korean age for this year?

Anonymous said...

i was born 23 april 1991 so my age now turn about 24 years old right in korean?

saraallbritton said...

Marie---During 2013, your Korean age is 22.

Anonymous--During 2013, your Korean age is 23.

Anonymous said...

Okay... So I'm born on December 9, 1997. Generally I'm 15 cause my birthday is still far away from now.

In Korean age for now I'm 16, once when my birthday arrives I'll be 17. Is that correct?

saraallbritton said...

If you were born in 1997, for the whole year of 2013, your Korean age is 17. It'd be (2013-1997)+1=17

Anonymous said...

I read from somewhere that those born in Jan and Feb are considered a year older than the rest, is it right? @@

Like, in the same year, if I was born in Feb 29, I would still be older than one born in Mar 1?

Unknown said...

i was born 19th october 1994 im 20 in my international age how old am i in korean age

mimi said...

I was born in 7 December 2001 than what would my age be in korean ����

mimi said...

I am 13 internatiol age

Anonymous said...

So if I was born in 2002 and my birthday is February 20th. Does that make me 16?? (I'm 14 rn)

Unknown said...

If my birthday is June 26,1996 my American age is 21. What is my Korean age?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

If my birthday is January 10th 2001,how old would I be in Korea? I've read this several times and I'm still confused about it..