Saturday, February 5, 2011

Japan - Fushimi Inari w/Jill & Sarah

As most of you know, I've just returned from a week-long vacation to Japan...and let me tell you, it was one of the best vacations I've had! It was so much fun, and I had a wonderful time! I feel like I made so many great memories, and I couldn't be happier with the vacation!!

A few months ago, I found out than an old friend of mine (and also fellow Wayland alum), Jill Stout Marshall, was going to be in Japan at the same time I was going to be in Korea. Since Korea & Japan are neighbors from across the sea, we thought it'd be a great opportunity to reunite and explore some of Japan together. Before this past week, I hadn't actually seen Jill in about 6 years...yea, crazy I know!! It was so great to see Jill and finally meet her husband, Mikey, and her adorable children, Mecailin & Camdon. We had so much fun together, reminiscing about old memories and making new ones together! I feel so blessed that I was able to spend the week with the Marshalls and couldn't ask for a more hospitable family!

So this blog begins a short series of blogs covering my trip to Japan. The first full day that I was there, we (Jill, Sarah [Jill's friend & fellow basketball wife], & myself) spent the morning exploring what was probably my favorite sight in Japan...Fushimi Inari Shrine. It was so amazing and I hope you can get a sense of the place from the pictures. If you're ever in Kyoto, please go to this place because it's really incredible!

We started the morning at a cute little coffee that is owned and operated by the mother of the Lake Star's announcer. She was so sweet and the coffee was delicious! It was the perfect start to our morning!

Jill & Sarah ready to explore Fushimi Inari

So from my understanding, businesses buy these torii gates (huge orange things) for luck to their businesses...and let me tell you, there are tons of them!! Here's Jill inside some of the huge ones!

 The three of us near a lake on the shrine grounds. I love this picture!


The torii gates got smaller but more abundant!

Such a cool feeling being under all of them!

Me and Jill enjoying the sights!

Posing in the sea of orange

We stopped for a little break and to enjoying some udon noodles....they were so yummy!! And who can resist a chopstick walrus!! 

Jill looking as beautiful as always with the udon noodles!

Yum!!

Ready to go through more of the torii!

Love the orange & black! (Let's Go Bears!)

There were lots of places to make wishes at the shrine. I am not sure of all of the different meanings, but it was interesting to see.

Omokaruishi -- lift the rock, if it feels light, your wish comes true...pretty sure Jill's didn't! Haha!


More torii gates!

Hilarious 'how-to' for use of the squatter toilets!

The lanterns are so pretty!

Lots of the statues had aprons or bibs or something...again, something I don't know about but picture-worthy!

One last look at Fushimi Inari

Some really yummy snacks on the way out of the shrine...they were filled with bean paste or custard and both were delicious!! (And yes, better than 붕어빵!!)

Jill & Sarah on the train ride home

It was such a spectular start to my trip and a great 'girls' day!! More pictures to come!!

2 comments:

Always Angie said...

Sara, I was so happy to meet you. I only wish I could have spent more time with you. I would have loved to get to know you a bit. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Japan. I've been here so long that I've forgotten how to be a tourist and just enjoy the sights. It sure looks like you and Jill (and Sarah) enjoyed being tourists. Thanks for becoming a follower of mine...is it OK if I follow you, too?

saraallbritton said...

Hello Angie--I am glad we got to meet, as well!! I had so much fun in Japan and am looking forward to going back one day! Feel free to follow me! I love sharing my adventures with everyone! :)