Saturday, August 2, 2008

Getting Our First Taste

Well, we're definitely in a foreign land. Asking everyone if they speak English before we can ask for help and not being able to know what you order at a restaurant are usually indications you're not at home. Ha. Kami and I visited our second local cafe around our apartment and were unable to communicate at all with her. After pointing to a word in our phrasebook, she said ok and we just trusted she'd bring us something. Ha. It turned out being ok, some chicken and potatoes, but it was a little scary there for a minute.

Also, for any of you that are thinking about traveling to Europe, you need to know about the water. If you order water or buy water, you need to know that most people drink their water 'sparkling' here, or with bubbles. It is SOOOO gross!!! My first water I had in Lithuania was like this and I had the great chance of getting it again today at the pub. So let's just say I'll be carrying around water with me from now on! Enjoy your bubbleless water and your free water Americans!!

We then had to the chance to get our first taste of the 'pretty' side of Prague. After our roommate Tyler arrived, we headed down to the center of town to find the school in prep for our meeting with them tomorrow. Well, we got a little lost on the journey but ended up seeing some awesome buildings and getting a few pics along the way...my first of the journey! Here are a couple, you can see more on my photo site (this site is hard to post pics so it's just easier to do on Picasaweb).

Photobucket



Photobucket

Tomorrow I'm hoping to go to the castle to see the changing of the guard...that'll be awesome. We are also meeting with a guy from our school so hopefully we'll know more once that happens. I'll let you know how it all goes.

Goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SARA!!! Im so gald you made it there!! About the water.. you can order it with "NO GAS" or "NO Bubbles" and they usualy know what that means. I had to do that a lot in Germany. But its not free, usually comes out in a pretty glass bottle and you have to pay for each one. Thats one thing I was excited to get home to.. FREE REFILLS!! haha what a concept! anyways... good luck with your class and learn some of the native language!!! =)