Friday, August 1, 2008

The Day Has Finally Come!!

We're here. Kami and I finally landed in Prague after two flights and 13 hours...but we made it!! Yay!!!

Today has been quite hectic. After spending 13 hours on the flights, we got to Prague to find that one of Kami's bags didn't make the journey with us and was stuck at our connection site, Amsterdam. So, after chatting with the Czech Airlines people, they told her it would be there on a later flight so we decided we'd go back after we got our keys and found our place to live.

Well, that was all quite an adventure in itself. We taxied to one of the metro (it's like a subway) stations to meet the landlord for the keys, we realized we were a half-hour late because of the baggage situation so the landlord had already gone. So, we found a payphone and couldn't figure out how to use it because of whole 'it was in a different language' issue. We then asked several people if they spoke English so we could find a phone to call the landlord, and finally a nice Czech girl helped us (and notified me the payphone wasn't working, so it wasn't my fault). So after our long journey, we finally got the keys and thought we were set...

Little did we know that either we couldn't read directions or our apartment owner couldn't give them, either way, there we were on the streets of Prague, dragging our suitcases up and down stairs and ramps and about to pass out with no luck in finding our apartment. I finally found a guy to ask, who spoke no English, but he managed to point me in the right direction.

So there we were....after losing luggage, missing the landlord and begging Czechs to help us, and wandering aimlessly around the streets to find our apartment, we were finally in...and sooooo happy!!! It was like a Heavenly moment when we walked through the door...such a good feeling to finally find where you are supposed to be!! I really felt like I was in a movie, just trying to find my way in a foreign land. It was quite an adventure.

After dropping off our luggage (thank goodness), we headed back to the airport in hopes that her back had been on the next flight, but no luck with that. Then we were starving since we hadn't eaten since the flight, and Kami wanted pizza so we found one close to our apartment. Well, they didn't have an English menu and the waitresses weren't too up on their English, so I just took my chance by ordering the Pizza Il Carne and Kami went with the standard pepperoni. It turns out Czechs make pepperoni a little different than we do...it was a cheese pizza covered in all sorts of peppers...like gross!! Not a happy time for Kami...who knew pepperoni wasn't standard. Mine turned out ok and I shared some with Kami, so it was ok. Don't think we'll be going back though...the waitresses weren't too excited about having us there.

So now here I sit, relaxing and taking a load off my feet...it feels amazing. Tomorrow, our roommate Tyler comes so that'll be excited. Hopefully in the next 12 hours, we'll know something about Kami's bag and can get that taken care of...then we can actually see some good parts of the city. We've seen lots, but nothing too out of the ordinary...airports, metros, buses. We're definitely ready to see some beautiful sites so hopefully we can do some of that tomorrow.

I know, I know...you're wondering where my pictures are...well, I haven't even taken one since we got here. It's been too crazy. Maybe tomorrow.

Anywho, I'm pooped and this has gotten way too long, so I'll end now! The point is we made it here and we're ready to experience Prague to the fullest!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Im glad you made it! I cant wait to see pictures!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara! I just got to Prague on Thursday, too! I have yet to go out and really do much, but I'll be at ITTP today at 2pm to pay my course fee.