Thursday, July 7, 2011

Watch Yo Mouth, Son!!

Lately, it seems that my ears have been filled with lots and lots of naughty words...and not from the adults around me, it's from my little 6th grade students. Here's my theory:

Korea has been infiltrated these days with Western culture and media and games and movies and all sorts of things. One of the negative factors of this epidemic is that these said games and movies are filled with lots of nasty language. And while these kids might not know exactly what these words mean, they know from the games that they play when the appropriate time to use them is. Sometimes a kid that speaks no English at all with go around saying these phrases that I know they learned from a video game. It's funny when it's something like, "Fire in the hole." It's a lot less funny when it's some involving my least favorite 4-letter word!

Anyways, this is all on my mind today because one of my 6th grade students was heard saying 'F#*$ you' to his peers today. I definitely called him out on it and told him he didn't need so say that. To make it a little worse than a normal situation, this student studied in the States for a little while and he knows full well that these words are not of a kind nature. So after getting on to him about it, my co-teacher addressed the situation further and then let his homeroom teacher know about his behavior. After lunch, the student came to my office to say he was sorry, but it took about 30 minutes and lots and lots of tears for him to get the two little words out.

So on I will go...trying to clean up my kids' mouths...one student at a time! (Who knew this would be a problem??! At least if they said Korean curse words, I wouldn't know!!)

No comments: