Thursday, July 14, 2011

Touring a Turkish Cargo Ship

In Tongyeong, there is a huge population of foreigners that work on ships. Also, there are lots of Koreans that work on these ships too. I always see them around and I want to see the ships upclose! Well, I finally got to see one!!!

Danielle befriended some Turkish guys that were in Tongyeong for a few weeks. She got to take the tour first, and I was super jealous, so last Saturday, I was invited to check it out!

It's pretty incredible how nice these ships are! On this ship in particular, there are 19 people working. They travel around the world carrying cargo to various countries. Their times in port can range from 12 hours to a few days. I am glad we were lucky enough to meet to them while they were here!!

Here are a few pictures from our time on the ship!

The ship!!

In the engine room...getting some bad news! ha!

The main engine....it was huge and hot!!

The view of Tongyeong from the ship! Can you see all of the clouds?! I'm ready for the rainy season to be finished!

Some huge rope...although you can't really tell since I didn't put anything as a reference point!

This is the emergency boat if there is a fire or collision. It's pretty impressive. They can get in and pull a lever and it will go shooting down into the water! Sounds fun but I wouldn't want an emergency to happen in order to use it!

The cargo space on the ship...the gray doors open and they put the cargo inside.

Manning the radar...gotta make sure nothing's in the way.

Always love talking on the radio!

The controls for the ship...lots of stuff going on here!

Everything in Korea is really cutesy...so I loved these danger signs that illustrate the cutesy part of Korea very well!

So it was a good day! I am glad I can mark this experience off my list of things to do in Korea!

No comments: