Saturday, January 22, 2011

Taipei - Food

And we're back! I'm almost done with my Taipei blogs, which is good since I'm about to go to Japan and take a lot more pictures to show you!! This post is dedicated to some different food that I tried in Taipei.

One night at my hostel, a couple of Malaysian girls were staying in the same room with me, and we got to talking. She was telling me about a place nearby that supposedly had a really good breakfast menu and suggested that I go there as well. So the next morning, that's just what I did! This was my only 'true' Taiwanese breakfast (I'm lame, I know) and it was pretty good. It was definitely interesting, but worth the try!

My breakfast...some baked bread thing with a green onion omelet and a fried piece of dough, served with a bowl of sweet warm soymilk.
 The note that the girls wrote so I could order breakfast!

When I was preparing to go to Taiwan, everyone told me about this restaurant, Din Tai Fung, that I had to try. Apparently it's ultra popular, even with the locals, and it's gone global because of it's popularity. My temple tour guide told me where to go, and off I went!

The sign outside. My original wait time was 45 minutes but it got cut down because I was willing to share a table with other tourists (they were all Japanese). 
My meal...two kinds of dumplings (their specialty) and the house chicken noodle soup. All was delicious! The middle dumplings (pork) were the best...probably why they're the most popular thing at the restaurant!
Enjoying my lunch!
A how-to card for eating the dumplings!
The folks hard at work...making tons of dumplings!

Lastly, the guidebook suggested trying beef noodles because of their popularity in Taiwan. So, one day after shopping, I stopped by a little eatery and pointed to the word in my book, and was brought this meal. It was pretty good, although there was some spice that I couldn't identify that I wasn't too fond of. Besides that, all was great!


I think I ate other Taiwanese foods, but these are the only ones that were picture-worthy...so that's all for now!

No comments: