Thursday, April 28, 2011

School Picnic to Mireuk Mountain

Last Monday, no students were in sight at Tongyeong Elementary School! Why?!...You might ask. It's because all of the students were taking part in their class picnics. Each grade level went to a different destination, and since I teach only 6th grade right now here, I tagged along to Mireuk Mountain along with the other English teachers. I must be honest in saying that our little group didn't actually summit the mountain, but we did hike about halfway up and wait for the 6th graders to come down from the other side and have lunch. Here are some pictures from our day:

Our hiking group...아름, me, Minie, Karen, and Jennifer

We passed a temple on the way up and there were lanterns leading up to it in honor of Buddha's birthday next week

Beautiful Minie and me with the island view

Pretty in Pink ladies...Karen and Jennifer

I took my traditional picnic lunch with PB&J, chips, and a banana, but that is nothing like the picnic lunches in Korea. These kids feast on gimbap, mini sausages, rice-stuff tofu pockets, and a variety of other foods. These mothers here aren't messing around when it comes to picnic lunches!

The teachers opted for a local specialty for lunch...Chungmu Gimbap (충무김밥). This special type of gimbap was created in Tongyeong and is a favorite for tourists. Instead of the fillings of the gimbap being inside, they are instead served on the side. There are sort of mini rolls of rice and gim, served with sides of spicy radish and spicy squid. It has quite an interesting history and is pretty popular around here.


Of course, spending the day with my wonderful students was lots of fun! Since I didn't start the journey with them and only met them for lunch, most of them were quite surprised to see me...which is good..I like to keep them on their toes!! :)





After lunch, the students played games in their respective classes.

On the way down the mountain, I enjoyed seeing the sun peek through the trees.

It was a great day and I can't wait until the next one! :)

No comments: