Saturday, January 8, 2011

Taipei - Taipei Zoo & Maokong

On Tueday of my visit to Taipei, I headed to the Taipei Zoo and the Maokong gondola. The zoo is super easy to get to because the subway goes all the way there (another point for the Taipei transporation system!). Also at the Taipei Zoo stop is the first stop for the Maokong gondola. I always love riding on gondolas, so I was excited to ride this one up to the Maokong (I'm going to call Maokong a 'suburb' of Taipei...not sure what the locals call it)!

If you're ever in Taipei and you need something cheap to do, head to the zoo!! It's only about $2USD (60 TWD) and there is a ton to see!! On a special note, don't go there on a Monday...that's when they clean all of the exhibits and so the cool things are all closed!! Also, the gondola is closed on Monday, so you wouldn't be able to enjoy the splendor of that!
Anyways, I enjoyed my day at the zoo! It is really large and there a lots of different types of animals. The main 'feature' are the pandas. I was really excited to see them, that is, until I saw their 'home'. It made me really sad because the baby panda was inside this large building with concrete flooring and a few items to make it seem like home. It almost made me feel bad that I wanted to see it. But, since I did, here are a couple of pictures: 
 This sign that was inside the exhibit made me laugh: 
 I always love seeing the monkeys...so cute!
 For some reason, this zoo had a large focus on poo. This is just a wall near the souvenir shop. And in each of the bathroom stalls, there was a 'fun fact' about poo. I didn't feel right taking a picture of that though! 

I don't want to bore you with zoo animal pictures (you should be familiar with most of them), so that's all for now!

After the zoo, I headed to the gondola for a nice ride up the mountain! Maokong is known for delicious tea, but since I'm not much of a tea connoisseur, I don't really know the difference!! I think my Maokong experience was quite different than the average person that visits there!
The Maokong station at the top of the mountain
 Some views from the gondola
 I did have to have some type of tea at the top, so I went with bubble tea! Before my trip to Taiwan, my cousin let me know that this drink is native to Taiwan. To be honest with you, the tapioca balls kind of gross me out, but the actual tea/milk is really yummy!! 
Thus concludes my day at the zoo and gondola! More pictures to come soon!

No comments: