Saturday, January 15, 2011

Taipei - Confucius Temple & Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall

On Wednesday of my trip in Taipei, I visited the Confucius Temple and the Chaing Kai-shek Memorial Hall. Admittedly, these two sights would probably have been more interesting to me if I knew a little more about their histories, but even still, they were good to see.

My first stop was the Confucius Temple. In my guide book, it said this was the best one to see in Taipei, so I went with that advice in mind. I was wandering around aimlessly and snapping shots like a tourist when I was approached by one of the temple's English-speaking guides. The girl was really sweet and we had a good time while she showed me around the temple. It definitely helped to have a guide, because I would have been clueless otherwise! Here are a few shots from the temple visit:
I love all of the bright colors of the temple...look at all of the detail of the ceiling.
Some traditional wear of the temple.

After lunch, I headed to the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall. Once again, I'll reiterate that if I had known more about the history, it may have made more of an impact on me. Still, it was interesting.

The big bronze man is Chiang Kai-shek. Hopefully you can get idea of how big it was from the guard standing on the side.
A view from the top of the memorial. There was some setup for an event, so you can't get the full effect of the grounds.
From the bottom looking up on the top of the memorial.
There was some kind of practice going on and it was really cool to watch.
More bright colors!
The entrance gates for the Memorial's grounds.
The pretty gardens.
The Memorial from a distance.

More pictures to come...once my Blogger decides to cooperate with me!

No comments: