Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Like the First Day of Kindergarten All Over Again!

It finally started...our TEFL class at ITTP started today and it was quite interesting...in a good way of course! Kami, Tyler and I left the flat a little early to make sure we got there on time, and since we were a little early, we had some time to hit a coffee shop and get our morning started right! I had a delicious cold coffee and Kami tried real cappucino for the first time...no Toot-n-Totums here!

So we arrived to class to find all of our new classmates. There are 13 people total in the class, nine males and four females. The majority of the people are from the US but there are other countries represented, including Scotland, Australia, Romania and England. It's very exciting to have a good mix and get to know people from other countries. Besides our roommate, there is another guy from Georgia (went to Valdosta State...Titletown USA!!!) and two people from New York, a guy from Connecticut, another from Arizona and a girl from Seattle. A good mix, I'd say!

Alena, the leader of the school, did a brief intro to the course and then a guy from a school in Moscow came to tell us about their program for English teachers. It was very interesting, but I'm thinking Kami and I won't opt to go there. Good info though. After lunch, a czech girl came to give us a lesson in Czech. It was nuts. She did the whole lesson speaking only Czech so we had to figure out what she said according to her cues and body language. It was crazy. Two things were accomplished with this, we learned some basic Czech and we were able to see how our students will feel when we are only speaking English to them. (So it can be done...teaching without knowing the language).

So that was pretty much it! I cooked our first dinner tonight and that was good...felt good to actually cook and not eat out. I made spaghetti and it was quite yum! Actually, it was pretty much the only thing I was certain was something I knew I could made without having to read the directions. Haha.

We also adopted a new roommate. His name is Ewen and he's from Scotland and we are happy to welcome him into our home. I kind of feel as though I'm on an episode of Real World, but hopefully I won't have to deal with that kind of drama they do. Ha. It's all good though, just hanging out!!

Oh yea, another thing. I guess that my right foot was a little jealous of my left, so it developed a blister on the same toe as the opposite foot...it's amazing...sense sarcasm! It's ok though...the walking is great...it's just the feet, they're still adapting!

So I guess that is it for the day! More to come...

No comments: