Sunday, September 13, 2009

Seoul--Building 63 and the DMZ

For the first weekend in September, a few friends and I headed to Seoul for a visit. Since Kami and I spent our winter vacation there, we'd already done most of the 'touristy' things. So when I was checking were to spend our Saturday, Building 63 interested me. Building 63 is the third-tallest building in Seoul and houses an aquarium and IMAX theater, among other things.

After quick stops to Insadong and Itaewon, we headed to Building 63. It was pretty awesome to see. It was definitely tall and it was right by the river, to the view was nice. We also went to the aquarium in the basement of the building, which turned out to be quite interesting.


These little fishes like our hands...it was a crazy feeling.

A shot of Seoul at night.

On the observation deck, there was an art gallery...this was my favorite piece.

A pretty bridge near Building 63.
The following day, we headed to the DMZ for a tour. We decided to do our tour through Adventure Korea, and it was awesome. I definitely recommend it for anyone planning on going. It was really well organized and very interesting.

Our first stop was ImjinGak

The bridge into North Korea.
The Freedom Bridge...it was used to exchange prisoners after the Korean War.
Our crew on the Freedom Bridge

After lunch in the Unification Villiage, we headed to the 3rd tunnel. This is the site of the third tunnel that the South Koreans found that the North Koreans were making. We got to go down into the tunnel, but pictures weren't allowed, so I can't show you those. It was crazy to think about the men working down in the tunnels. Who knows what the North Koreans were planning with the tunnels. They deny even making them...they claim it was the South Koreans. Somebody's lying!

This is a really neat statue. It symbolizes the north and south coming together...maybe one day.
Then we headed to Dora Observatory. This provides a nice view into North Korea. Because of security reason, we weren't allowed to take pictures past a certain photo line...so I don't have many nice pictures, but I took what I could. This is just a picture of me at the observatory with North Korea in the background.
Our last stop was the Dorasan Train Station. It was quite interesting as well. If North Korea ever agrees, there could oneday be a train that goes from South Korea all the way to Europe. The South Koreans are very hopeful that this could happen and it would be pretty incredible if it did.
The potential route of the railway

A pic with our oh-so-handsome tour guide!The railways that could oneday take you all the way to Europe.
A pic with one of the friendly army fellows.

Alright...so concludes our trip to Seoul and the DMZ. It was a good trip and I am really glad that we went. I didn't want to bore you with all of my pictures, but if you want to, you can look at my photo site to see more.

No comments: