Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Eobang Festival in Busan

I can tell it's spring, because I'm a busy little bee these days! The last few weekends have been a wonderful contrast to the previous weeks...weather-wise...and I've been taking advantage of it!

Last weekend, Busan was the destination and the Eobang Festival at Gwangalli Beach was the target! It was quite a fun weekend on the beach and the weather was amazing!! I headed to Busan on Saturday morning with Danielle, where we met up with a few of her friends and a few of my friends from around Korea. One of the best things about traveling to Busan is that the west bus terminal is right on a subway stop (Sasang), so it makes it quite easy to get around town from there. And now that they opened the Geoga Bridge connecting Geoje to Busan, the trip is a little less than an hour and a half! Amazing!

On to the festival...From what I could tell, this festival was to celebrate fishermen and the fishing lifestyle. It was pretty similar to most of the festivals I've been to...with booths, festival food, and the likes...but in my opinion, the best thing about this festival was the fireworks at night! I am a sucker for fireworks! Also, I finally got to see the Gwangan Bridge in Busan...a pretty popular bridge in Korea. It made a beautiful backdrop for the day's events. Ok, let's get to the pictures!

A show with fishermen singing and swinging a net on the beach

This is a traditional game in Korea, Neol-Ttwigi, that is similar to a seesaw...except you aren't sitting down. I have seen this at several different places, but these two girls were the best I've ever seen. They were getting some serious air!

There was also a parade during the festival...these are my two favorite pictures from that! I love the bright colors!

At night, we enjoyed the fireworks on the beach. Here's a portion of the group that we wandered around with:

This was the best picture I could get with my camera...but I like it!

There were a couple of these arches with hanging lanterns and at night, it was such a nice sight!

Group picture under the lanterns:

After spending the night in Haeundae, we woke up Sunday morning with one thing on our minds....BREAKFAST!!! We Googled and found The Pancakes in Seomyeon had the best reviews for a Western style breakfast. So we hopped on the subway to Seomyeon for an amazing treat! Here are the directions we followed, just incase you don't click the link above...Subway: Seomyeon exit 1. Take your second right, and turn left on the main street. Go down a half a block. The Pancakes is on the left, just past Uncle Tomato Italian restaurant. Orange sign. Second floor.

My awesome breakfast...except...what is that salad doing on my breakfast plate??!!

Overall, it was a fantastic weekend. It was great meeting up with some of the new friends I met at EPIK training and to make new friends! I can't wait until the next one...Tea Festival in Hadong in May!! See you there! :)

No comments: