Friday, September 16, 2011

Singapore - The First Two Days

Whoo-hoo! My first blog about Singapore!! Have no fear...there are two more on the way!!

My trip to Singapore was a wonderful adventure. It all started with a midnight flight from Seoul to Singapore, with a short stop in Kuala Lumpur. I got to Singapore around 10am and made my way on the subway to my hotel. Of course, I was there before check-in, so I left my luggage and headed for the nearest hawker center. I was starving!!  I had previously watched the Anthony Bourdain review of the city, so I knew the first dish I had to try! Chicken Rice!! It was a great way to start my vacation! It was definitely yummy and super cheap! I really like the hawker center dining they have there...so affordable and delish!!

I spent the first day on my own, exploring the city a little and catching up on some sleep! Sandy joined me in the afternoon of my second day, and we had a full schedule of sightseeing ahead of us! Our first stop was Suntec Mall, where we visited the 'World's Largest Fountain'...the Fountain of Wealth. On the way to the mall, we ran into a giant chocolate bar that we just had to take a picture with!! Ok, it was probably mostly my idea, but who can resist!! I also got a snapshot of a really neat wall in one of the subway stops. It was for the youth olympics held in Singapore in 2010 and each of the tiles was made by different people from around the world (from what I could tell, anyways!). It was really interesting to me!

Finally, we reached the fountain and read the instructions telling us how to make our wishes come true from the fountain. We didn't really believe it would happen, but we followed the instructions anyways! Something like...Walk around the fountain three times, keep you right arm in as you walk around, and make a wish as you walk. I'm not sure if I even wished for something, but it was fun, anyways! Here are a couple pictures of the fountain!


After that, we headed to Merlion (like mermaid + lion) to see the harbor! It was really beautiful and the weather had cooled off a bit from the daytime heat, so it was quite nice! The Merlion is quite a popular thing in Singapore and is representative of the city. I'm not sure of the specifics, but it still made for a nice picture! Here are the shots from Merlion Park:

Hopefully from this picture, you can see three of the most notable sights in the Singapore harbor...from left to right, the Singapore Flyer, the Science & Arts Museum, and the Marina Bay Sands Hotel. My camera isn't too keen on night pictures, but you can get the general idea, hopefully!!

So wrapped up my first two days in Singapore...more to come!!

No comments: