Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What Legacy Do You Want to Leave Behind?

Last week, as I was flipping through the lastest edition of the Wayland Baptist alumni magazine, Footprints, I couldn't help but reminisce about my old days at WBU.

I can remember it clearly...sophomore year...an interview to become a member of the Student Union Board...Dr. Lusk asked me, "Sara, what legacy do you want to leave behind after you're finished at Wayland?" Being the 19-year old that I was and having never given thought to any kind of legacy before, I said the first thing that came to my mind, "I want people to remember me as a fan...a lover of all sports at Wayland and the biggest supporter on campus!" Well, I suppose that wasn't the answer he was looking for since I wasn't selected to be in the organization, but as I look back on my time at Wayland, I think that's exactly the legacy I left.

Almost always, when I see an old friend from my days at Wayland and they're introducing me to someone else, it comes up that I was a sports fan at WBU. I guess I didn't realize it at the time, but sports did take up a lot of my time during my four years in Plainview. Most of my memories when I look back have something to do with working at an athletic event, hanging out with someone involved in the sports world, or traveling to a game.

I guess it all started my freshman year at Wayland. I became really good friends with a fellow freshman, Nicole, and we spent a good portion of our first year at the baseball field. We even drove all the way to Arizona during Spring Break so we could cheer on the Pioneers. I would find any means possible to go to a game, especially when the team played their conference games in Oklahoma...catching rides with friends, riding with players' mothers, getting up at 5am to make it for first pitch. I guess the baseball team noticed my obsession support, because at the end of the season, they presented me with the 'Most Dedicated Fan' award at the Athletic Banquet. I was shocked and very grateful! And from there, my love of sports just grew and grew!

The following year, I started working at basketball games doing stats with Rhane and Jennifer. Little did I know how much I would love being courtside at the table. I have never been much of an athlete, but my new job allowed me to be about as close to the action as I could have been. I was learning about other sports that my high school didn't have, like volleyball and soccer, and taking an interest in sports I hadn't before, like golf. Also, by then, I was starting to become friends with some of the athletes, which made being a fan even more fun!

The next two years were full of countless sporting events...and lots of miles on my car! Whether it was going to Oklahoma for conference match-ups every other weekend, Abilene for midweek games, or Amarillo for golf tournaments, I did everything in my power to support my friends and watch them in action. Between games, Rhane let me start working in her office during the day so I could get a feel of the life of a Sports Information Director, and I started writing sports articles for the university newspaper. Soon enough, my life revolved around the world of athletics.

Fast forward to August 2006, I started a graduate assistantship at Mercer University working in the Sports Information office. It was my chance to get experience in a field of work that I loved and earn a Master's degree while doing so. I spent two years there, working primarily with the volleyball and softball teams, and of course, doing stats at basketball games. I feel certain that I would have never pursued that chance if I hadn't developed a love for athletics during my time at Wayland.

And here I am today, halfway around the world and thinking of the 'old' days. I could have chosen one of many different paths when I became a student at Wayland, and because of the one I did choose, I can surely say that I'm happy I did so. I made wonderful memories, and more importantly, I made amazing friends.

So when people ask me what kind of legacy I left at Wayland, I'll proudly say I was a sports fan...and a darn good one!


(PS...Thanks to my little sister for scanning these photos for me since I'm far from home right now!)

No comments: